Friday, January 13, 2006

Work Week 1

Before I begin: Anyone watch 'Lost' last night? The show, while totally awesome, can't get any more mysterious without me flying down to LA with a couple of guys named Sanchez, knocking on Damon Lindehof's door, and demanding some answers.

NOW:

Upon successful completion of my first week of day worker/night writer status (not to be confused with Night Rider – I’m nowhere near as cool or coifed), I’ve come to two important realizations. And while they may have been prompted by someone far wiser
than myself, I have absolutely no problem taking the credit.

Realization 1: Instead of worrying about how many hours I dedicate to writing, and feeling disappointed if I don’t hit my self-imposed quota, why not focus my energies on tangible, results-based goals? It’s just so much less stress…

Par example: This weekend, I plan to have my low-budget thriller outline completed as well as draft up a bunch of emails I have to send out Monday to producers. This seems much easier to attain and more satisfying than watching the clock and feeling worthless when the words don’t hit the page at an appropriate rate. This type of thinking just seems more healthy and less like the Baywatch movie (that is, set up for inevitable failure).

Realization 2: Corporations work slow. Real sssslllllooooowwwww. I find it unbelievable. I come in on day one, do what I’m told, and then wait for six different people to approve the work before I can take another step forward. It’s mind-boggling how inefficient things are ALLOWED to run. Not only allowed, but applauded when people actually make a decision! I’m sure that both the Canadian film system (or lack thereof) and the US Studio structure work with similar lethargy, so when I do experience their own unique brand of ineptitude, I promise to bitch and moan about it as well. I don’t like to exclude. Reminds me too much of childhood.

But maybe that’s why I enjoy writing so much: Because it’s working alone. Just me and my head (and sometimes my heart). I can work at my own pace and schedule without slowing or speeding to someone else’s.

I’m not knocking co-writing, but it is a slower process. And yes, speed doesn’t always mean good. But it means progress and efficiency, as long as you’re paying attention.

P.S. Still not smoking. I promise. Not even a drag – and it’s still super-simple. I’m at the stage where I can’t stand the smell of smoke as I pass it on the street. My girlfriend (a quitter in her own right) says that this stage is followed by a much more difficult one. I’ll let you know.

P.P.S. I might as well begin the 'Week Ahead Sched'. Up next week is a meeting with the SELF HELP team, and two meetings with two different cowriters: One on a hour long drama series I'm developing, and one on a Canadian comedy (still in early stages). Will report again next week, unless something exciting (my definition of exciting does vary from week to week) occurs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home