Monday, June 12, 2006

It's Evolution, Baby

Summer-summer-summertime. Sing it, Big Willy.

The weather is here (and there, depending on the day – but HERE, regardless), and I now have three months of warm weather to apologize to my loved ones for being such a surly prick in the winter months.

Starting…now.

I have some news. It's news to me at least, and if you're reading this, then I imagine it's of some minute yet genuine interest to you. I’ve found myself staring at one of those increasingly frequent ‘life decisions’, the ones you didn’t know existed when you were 14 and wishing to be grown up. I don’t really know how to describe it. ‘Transition’ is apt, but I’ve found myself unintentionally using ‘Crossroads’ to address it in conversation, although using the word makes me feel like a wrinkly country singer with halitosis (and for those who want to reference Bone Thugs, I can go there too. I roll deep.)

I’ve parted ways with my day job. The time has come for me to try ‘full-time writing’, like any writer should. I’m following the old ‘writer’s write’ adage. The full scoop: At the end of June, I will no longer be working in an office 45 hrs per week. I will be writing full time, available to take meetings and write-off lunches. Doing what I want to do, what I like to do, what I’m good at, what I’m supposed to do. In order to keep above the poverty line, I hope to continue a string of freelance copy work I’ve received recently. That’s the goal – there are a few agencies in the city that I’ve freelanced for and can continue to get assignments from. If I can grow that list, then I can maintain afloat whilst poppin’ out scripts, outlines, bibles, synopses, etc. until one of them development folk point in my direction.

It’s a big decision, but one that came fairly quickly after outlining the pros and cons. Got some good advice – after all, writer’s are in business for themselves, are they not? Why prolong this impending eventuality? It’s not that I’m quitting one job to write, it’s that I’m transitioning into my career, full-time. Investing in my ‘business’, my assets (pieces of paper with ink on them), my future (as blurry as it may seem).

I doubt that this audience needs much convincing, but another piece of evidence I use to back my decision when explaining this choice to my grandparents, who think being open-minded is for hippies and homosexuals (their opinion, not mine): Right now, I’m 24. The time is now. Financial responsibilities are minimal, and I know I won’t go hungry. Could I say no to a regular paycheck and write full-time if I had mouths to feed? Mortgages to pay? I don’t want to be 35 and wish I had given it a go. So, I’ll give it a go. What can go wrong? (Please don’t answer this).

Another great piece of advice: “Making the wrong decision for the right reasons is still the wrong decision”. This, I think, is an excellent adage that I will adopt for many of my future life crises (and, knowing me, there will be many, from ‘which movie to rent’ to ‘does she love me enough to wear this Alf ring I found in my desk drawer’). Staying at work and collecting the paycheck because it’s safe and comfortable and mindless still isn’t the right decision. Thanks, Jon.

So, as of July 1, Josh will be prowling coffee shops around the city, scoping out the most quiet, most comfortable places to write. My roommate’s a musician, so home isn’t an option. Does anyone have any suggestions? I will start by offering up the Second Cup at Bathurst and St. Clair: The upstairs lounge, with three leather armchairs, is always empty and quiet. Where do you write outside your home? Wireless internet is always a plus. There should be a catalogue of these places.

Also beginning July 1, I will be able to contribute much more time to this blog. I plan to revamp the links and spend more time creating an engaging post of procrastination for y’all. You’ll like it. Or at least pretend to when we bump into each other. That’s the least you can do. I’m fragile.

Writerly updates: Finished my 1/2hr. spec, pretty pleased about it. Moving on to my 1hr. original script, draft 2 of Chub. I’ve got some interest from Big ProdCo. regarding 4 of my projects, so I’m on the mission of writing one-sheets for submission. Hope they are well received. Also have another feature I’m hoping to develop with a wicked-funny director, and a webisode series with SA that has me really pumped. More on all of this soon - hurray!

Ahem…I mean…that’s, like, cool.

1 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is the right decision for you...I can just feel it. Im proud of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home