Saturday, September 09, 2006

TIFF DAYS 2 and 3

DAY 2.

THE USA VS. JOHN LENNON

I love the Cumberland. I find the entire experience much more pleasant than the Varsity – from the staff, to the crowds, to the theatres. I can safely say that I’ve never seen a bad fest film at the Cumberland. Ever. Come to think of it, going forward I'll make it a contractal requirement that any film I write must open at the Cumberland. It’ll ward off bad spirits.

Anyhow: This film was good. I admit to not being well-versed in Lennon’s personal history (as a producer at a party last night informed me, he died the year before I was born), so there wasn’t much about this film that was repetitive. VH1 was involved, and it featured exclusive interviews with Yoko, G. Gordon Libby, George McGovern, and Gore Vidal (who I dig – and you know who also earned himself a barrelful of Budd Points? McGovern. Why couldn’t a man like this be elected President? I blame inconvienient timing and the intraparty tinkering.)

Vietnam, Communism, and Nixon (Think Iraq, Islam, and Bush with bellbottoms) are at the forefront of this film. Without mentioning current events at all, the doc quietly illuminates the devious criminality going on south of the border today. And you can be sure that 20 years from now, investigative films about the current administration will be FLOODING the theatres, and we’re all going to be sick to our stomachs and vow to never let it happen again…until the next time.

Add to the interviews some very candid footage of John that really showed his wit, humor, and moral constitution…result? A decent, if not great, movie. It’s really a total talking head/archives doc, but the subject is interesting and engaging enough to put the cuffs on my ADD for 90 minutes.

Favorite Line: “Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel” – Gore Vidal

BORAT CULTURAL LEARNINGS OF AMERICAN FOR MAKE BENEFIT GLORIOUS NATION OF KAZAKHS

Fuck. Let’s have a round of applause for 20th Century Fox, who, after watching “Team America”, must have thought: “Eh...That’s only so-so offensive. Let's raise the bar, shall we?”

Borat's targets: Jews, Women, Gays, Rednecks, Jews, New Yorkers, Blacks, University students…and Jews.

Borat is so overtly inappropriate that you don’t question for a second where his true self lies. It’s a spectacle indeed, and something that everyone should see. Cohen explains it as “a dramatic demonstration of how racism feeds on dumb conformity, as much as rabid bigotry.” The Kazakh government doesn’t agree, but really, they don’t hold much weight in the Valley. Even Billy Baldwin has more clout.

Jay Roach, Todd Phillips, Sasha Cohen, Larry Charles. It’s a no brainer. The film is hilarious. Absolutely and totally make-your-cheeks-ache funny. I don’t want to ruin any of it for anyone, so that’s all I’m giving you.

Favorite Line: “Children! Run and stomp on the egg before the Jew Chick hatches!”

TIFF DAY 3

Last night was party kick-off night. I started at a pre-party for ‘up-and-comers’. I hate this phrase. Up-and-comers? Where am I coming from? And why does it connote that I was nowhere before? Do they have Down-and-Leavers parties? I want an invite to that one.

This was hosted by Roma Khanna, Senior VP of content at the mighty Chum. She was very pleasant, as were most of her guests. I met some very nice people that I could see working with in the future, had some great spring rolls, and got to soak up the Spoke patio which I always hate until I get there.

After that, the big ‘schmooze’ (sounds like a spreadable treat) at City TV, where thousands of screaming fans wait for their favorite celebs to prance down the red carpet and into the party. Only thing is that none of these ‘celebs’ were actually in the party, save for the obligatory Canadian content. Or maybe they were, and I'm just not cool enough to know it. Regardless, I had a blast, enjoyed many beverages, got rained on, introduced myself around as Emmett, and saw some old CFC friends.

But fun last night isn't fun for today. I’ve got the hat, hood, and sunglass uniform on. Thank god all I have to do is sit in a dark room and gorge on buttered popcorn. God bless butter.

THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND

I’m one of those guys who hasn't ever really been impressed by Forest Whitaker. I didn’t like Ghost Dog, so there’s that. While I respected him as an actor, I didn’t understand the high praise he receives from better educated cinephiles.

After watching this movie, I get it. Forest Whitaker is an excellent actor. And he gives a look that makes Don Cheadle’s legendary stare whimper like a belt-whipped Schnauser. I’ll wait for an Oscar nod before I roll out the I-told-you-so’s.

James McAvoy was also great, more than standing ground with Forest’s performance. Nice to see Agent Scully in the rural Uganda. Although she really served no purpose, nor were the first ten minutes necessary to relay his character arc, but I'll allow the indulgence.

Idi Amin was a ‘child’, as he’s described in the film. A child that ruled a nation. And to the filmmaker’s credit, as well as Whitaker’s, you actually like this brutal dictator at times. He’s charming. He’s friendly. He’s a psychopath! Evidence A: He kills one of his wives and chops off her limbs...then re-stitches her arms where her legs should be and vice versa. Very hard to watch.

Yet a very commanding film. You can’t take your eyes off Whitaker, because as Idi Amin, he’s always got his eyes on you. Literally. He stares for a good part of the movie. And it speaks volumes.

Between this and Borat, the two best film’s I’ve seen yet. Not that I’ve seen that many…but I have yet to walk out on a snoozer...


FALKENBERG FAREWELL

I spoke too soon.

A) I couldn’t understand these Swedes. They talk too damn fast, and that’s that. Also, the subtitles were in a font with like, 35% opacity. So they were almost illegible.
B) I saw way too many penises in the first ten minutes to continue watching. Call me old fashioned, but I like my penises spread throughout a film, not front-loaded.

CATCH A FIRE

I was in line for All The King’s Men, but there’s another screening later in the week and I overheard this was going to be good from two 'woMen' sitting across from me at breakfast.

I don’t think it was, however. Some may disagree, but I found it s l o w. Maybe I was all Africa’d out from the Amin film, I dunno, I just wasn’t into it. It took forever to get going, and for no good reason. The few engaging scenes came too late.

The script was average at best, but stood out specifically for Tim Robbins, who spits some very poor dialogue. He’s a good actor, but this was not a good performance, lacking in nuance and depth. Derek Luke showed me more range than he did in Biker Boyz or Moesha. This emotional type of film is exactly what your agent tells you will get you ‘serious work’.

I fell asleep at the end. Don’t tell anyone, okay? I blame the butter.

2 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger wcdixon said...

Borat rocks...cool...can't wait to see it.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger wcdixon said...

And I would've been at the 'down and leavers' party...lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home