Friday, October 06, 2006

Best Opening Weekend Of The Year?

I think we have a contender...

The Last King Of Scotland
As I proclaimed during TIFF, performances by James McAvoy and Forest Whitaker make this already powerful film spectacular. Although it's Forest who will get most of the media, McAvoy shines like a Klan spotlight in the Alabama swampland.

And yes, I've been waiting for a reason to use that.

Trailer Park Boys: The Movie
Admittedly not a member of the TPB die-hard fan club, I am excited for this film. It's getting great reviews, and that's tough for a Canadian comedy to achieve.

Two reasons keep my skepticism at bay. One of those reasons has a sub-point, but I wouldn't feel right calling them three:

1) I trust Reitman.

2a) I read that rather than other tv-to-feature films like Wayne's World and Bob/Doug Mackenzie, TPB chose to use their inflated budget not to get bigger, but deeper into the story.

I find this distinction inspiring, and really think it's a decision that more folks in charge of comedy should be brave enough to make.

2b) This adds evidence to something I've been saying for some time: That great comedy comes from character, not circumstance.

(Now that I think about it, I have a suspicion that a dude much more famous and well-dressed proclaimed something along these lines some time ago. Am I making this up... does anybody know what the hell I'm talking about?)

The Departed
Everything I've read claims this is Scorcese back in Goodfellas form. A proclamation like that obliges every male in the free world to drag his girlfriend to opening weekend under the auspices of 'it's my turn to choose'.

Just look at the cast of brothahs (my best Bostonian accent): Jack Nicholson's woken up from a three year catnap to play a villain. Matt Damon (Maht-Daymun!) as a bad cop. Leonardo 'Remember when I was the shit?' DiCaprio, Scorcese's answer to Tarantino's Thurman. And the completely underrated Marky 'Undies' Whalberg.

Apparently it's full of violence, stuffed like a holiday bird. It's been a while since I've enjoyed a graphically violent gang film, and frankly, I kinda miss it. Big fingers crossed on this one.

Fun Fact: At 150 minutes, this film is the shortest Scorcese picture since 1999.


So do me a favor this long weekend. Go to the theater, buy a ticket for Trailer Park Boys, and go see any of the three above films.

(I'd be great if you actually went to see TPB, but I understand if it's not your brand of ale.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home